The MV Lochiel started her career in Oban, before moving to the Islay run late in 1939, following the modification of the pier at West Loch Tarbert. She served as the mail boat for Islay, Gigha, Jura and Colonsay, avoiding requisitioning during WWII. Her mainmast, which is now the centerpiece of the Port Ellen Community Garden, was added in 1953.
SID, in conjunction with The Museum of Islay Life, have been working on installing a sign to tell the story of the Locheil, the last surviving mail boat of MacBrayne’s Ltd.
The sign will be in both English and Gaelic and will be erected in the Community Garden when the design is finalised.
This will be a lovely addition to the green space and will bring to life the Locheil’s long history.